It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Hive Android Widget - Beta Testers Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 7 time
pauln wrote:
Hi,

I also have Galaxy S3. Frequently have same issue of being stuck in 'Updating Status' mode, although usually eventually it does update.

Also I'm assuming that the temperature in brackets is the target temperature? This is always 0.5C below what I have set it to.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks for the feedback Paul. Yeah, the "Updating Status" mode is when its attempting a login to the hivehome website, so out of my hands really. How long does it stay in this state for?
The 0.5C temperature difference is a strange one, be good to see if anyone else is having the same issues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Difficult to tell exactly as of course i can't spend all afternoon looking at it, but certainly long enough that I rarely see it update (5+ minutes minimum).

Yeah for example Frost Protection defaults to 5C so that will display as 4.5C in brackets.

Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:49 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
In addition to previous post it does update quicker quite often if I try to force an update. Just now it had been stuck in that state for 5+ minutes so hit refresh and it updated immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, okay, don't think 5 minutes for an update is the login process. I'll take a look at that part of the code.

As for the temperature, when I set to Frost Protection my hivehome.com display shows 4.5C. The web page used to show 4.5C but now displays "Frost Protection". You can actualy set it to 5.0C then if you click again you get Frost Protection, but the system actual sets it to 4.5, hence that is what you see in the widget. I could code it so if its 4.5 you see the Snowflake, might add that once we iron out the other issues. In the mean time, let me know if you get similar symptoms when settings are higher.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I've been tracking the app on Google developer console and I can't see any crashes as yet. Theres still the issues on a couple of devices (names the Nexus 7) about spacing etc and an issue with accuracy on the target temperature, but other than that nothing too much. I'm running on a Galaxy S4 with no issues for several days now.
So I'm pushing to move to a formal release on this version. If anyone is seeing other issues other than those mentioned above, let me know.
If not, I'll be releasing the app tomorrow evening, 3rd Dec 2013. Given that Google takes a few hours to update, this will probably be available for download 1st thing on 4th Dec.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 am 

Have thanks: 2 time
The widget seems to be working fine for the most part on an S4 running Google Edition 4.3 rom. However, I'm also getting that 4.5 degree for frost protection, but seems ok for other temps.

Few suggestions if you have the time/inclination:

i. Allow background to be changed (e.g. transparent/other colours); similarly for text colours.

ii. Tapping the widget to take us to the Hive App (assuming it is installed)

iii. A historical chart of the temperature would be quite cool!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I've confirmed that now, the frost protection is set at 4.5 degrees by BG, you just don't see it, you get the frost icon instead.

Thanks for the improvements:

i) I'll add it to my new functionality list
ii) I had considered this but wanted to have 2 big buttons on the widget (i.e. left and right hand side) which currently correspond to Update and Settings. What are your thoughts on either adding another area which would start the app or replacing the Update of Settings presses which would start the Hive App?
iii) I'll add this to the list. Do you see the chart as another widget or the same widget but just a bit bigger?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 am 

For (ii), on reflection, I think your approach of the two big buttons is better. Having looked at the app again just now, there isn't really that much functionality in the app that one would use on a daily basis other than changing the target temp. Moreover, starting the app and logging in still seems to take some time. However, programming directly through the widget should be quicker experience from a user interface perspective, especially if the widget is already logged in (based on experience using those scripts in your dev forum).

For (iii), personally I like the size of the widget as it stands. Not too big/intrusive etc. If a chart can be squeezed on (user selectable?) that would be great, or maybe a resizable widget? Other than that, a separate chart widget may be better.

One other feature to consider - some sort of indicator (maybe based on just setting colour of your new buttons or a small bar above/below the target temp etc?) that shows the current status of the boiler, e.g. green for on, red/gray for off etc.

Thanks again for all your work on this!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I did mull over a number of different designs on the layout, but hopefully this will prompt discussion and I can potentially create a poll to see what the general consensus in on the design.
I'll take a look at the chart, I've seen a few widgets with graphs and they tend to be really small so graphs work better full screen, however, will see what I can find.
As for the boiler indicator, its sort of already there, the target and current temperatures show up RED when the boiler is on and BLUE when its off.
There isn't an actual API call for this, I just use the "target < current" formula but it does seem to correlate with my thermostat boiler icon, so seems good enough for now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:05 am 

Ah ok, I hadn't actually noticed the colour changes on the target temp!!

Anyway, its a useful widget and I look forward to your future updates :)

Page 4 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4