It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Hive Android Widget - Beta Testers Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 7 time
Ok, so I mentioned in a previous post about looking into the API which is currently available for the Hive system and seeing what I could do with it.

First idea which appears to be missing from the BG solution is an Android widget. For those of you that don't know Android:

"Widgets are an essential aspect of home screen customization. You can imagine them as "at-a-glance" views of an app's most important data and functionality that is accessible right from the user's home screen. Users can move widgets across their home screen panels, and, if supported, resize them to tailor the amount of information within a widget to their preference."

Basically, when you want to know what the current inside/outside temp and weather are for your Hive system, you currently have to startup the app (which strangely takes quite a while) and then you get you main status page. What I'm proposing, is to develop a widget than updates every 30 mins (initially) so you don't have to, you just open your home screen and the latest status is available.

I'm in the final stages of testing on an initial Beta version and I'm looking for some would-be volunteers.

In order to assist, you need an Android phone which supports anything above the following:

Android 2.3.3–2.3.7 Gingerbread (API level 10)

If you have a phone which is less than 2 year old, you should be fine.

I'm just looking for volunteers at the moment. If you want to assist, just reply to this post giving details of your phone and android version if possible.

Once I have the app ready, I'll post more information on how you can download, along with some screenshots. I'll also use this forum to take feedback on improvements both visual and functional so we can hopefully get something which will be useful to the masses. Hell, who knows, BG might even give me a job Hint! Hint! :shock:

Post subject: Re: Hive Android Widget - Beta Testers Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi,
I'd be interested in testing this. My phone is galaxy s3. Android 4.2.1
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm 

Yup I'll test it for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Appreciate the help with testing etc.

OK, I've read up on Google Developer now and it appears that the easiest way to get access to the "Alpha" version is to join the Google+ Hive community.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 0091864933

Once you have joined the community, you need to go to the following link to signup as a Tester:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/or ... hivewidget

Rather than sit on it until its in a polished state, I thought I'd go down the Agile route and get some Alpha testing going.

Release Note: Alpha
Version: 0.1
Defects:
- Preferences only available when widget is 1st dropped. Workaround is to remove widget from homescreen and drop a new version.
- Layout and spacing may be out on different screen resolutions, I've only had time to check against a few.

TODO:
- I don't like the Hive monochrome font and as there's a multitude of weather images out there, I'll be implementing better weather icons in the next version.
- Fix preferences option

NOTE: This is an ALPHA release, expect to see problems, crashes and general strange behaviour. Make a note of it and post in this thread and I'll get it fixed in the next version.

Give it a try and let me know your feedback, improvements, what you like, what you hate, what you'd like to see etc, etc.

For Defects/Issues, I'm tracking at my GitHub account:

https://github.com/bazza2000/hive/issues/new

You may need to signup 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:51 pm 

Hi,
Joined the community but can't get the google play link to work. Is there another link.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Only just uploaded. Might take a few hours. Try in the morning and let me know. I'll be checkin too so will post if it's up there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Ok so looks like even though we're only in Alpha, Google wants screenshots, descriptions and advertising. I've uploaded some equivalent images and it now appears to be published in Alpha. It may take a few more hours before its available on the play store. Let me know how you get on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

OK, looks like the app is now available however, you need to go via the following link:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/or ... hivewidget

Click the "Become a Tester" link and then you should be able to click the "Download Hive Widget from the Play Store" link which will allow you to see the application on the Play Store.

Let me know if there are any problems, both with the link and with the app :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:07 pm 

Hi,
Link worked fine.
Entered details and widget worked. Showed indoor and outdoor temp. Reinstalled and now stuck on updating status. Don't know if it's having trouble connecting to the servers or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

ashleyw1 wrote:
Hi,
Link worked fine.
Entered details and widget worked. Showed indoor and outdoor temp. Reinstalled and now stuck on updating status. Don't know if it's having trouble connecting to the servers or not.

Hmm, yeah, I've seen that myself, need to get some info out but in the mean time. If you press the right hand side (i.e. the text with temps and location) it will initiate a refresh of the data. This also happens every 30 mins if left. If you select the left hand side, i.e. the image of the local weather, you should get the preference screen (not working at the mo).

I'll keep looking into the hanging status and let you know if I find something. In the mean time, try uninstalling the app and reinstalling as opposed to removing from the home screen and re-adding the widget.

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next