It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to connect hub to Access Point
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi,

I have recently had the Hive system installed. Been having connectivity issues with the receiver and thermostat and I think this was due to the fact that the hub is installed at the front of the house and the receiver and thermostat are at the back of the house. The house is a long victorian property with thick walls. I don't think this helps! I have a Hive light bulb in the front of the house in the same room as the hub and this never has any connection issues, so this leads me to believe that there are problems with the distance from the hub to the receiver and thermostat.

I didn't really want to use one of those boosters because I want a more reliable system for the receiver and thermostat which are obviously the most critical parts of the system.

Therefore, I've moved the hub to the back of the house where I have a second router setup as an 'access point'. This access point is connected to the main DHCP enabled router via Powerline networking. DHCP is switched off on this secondary 'access point'. I usually use this 'access point' for wireless access at the back of the house because the main router cannot reach this far.

The problem is that if I connect the hub to this access point, it does not connect and shows a solid red light.

If I connect the hub straight to the Powerline network plug it works fine though.

I would really like to connect the hub to the 'access point' though since I use this for my WiFi at the back of the house.

Has anyone done this before, and was some special configuration required.

I'm not sure why it does not work, because the Hive hub should go to the main router which is configured on the 'access point' as the gateway.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Will.

Post subject: Re: How to connect hub to Access Point
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 pm 

Have thanks: 5 time
Hi
Did you every get this issue fix, also what is the make and model on the AP.
Regards
Matt

Post subject: Re: How to connect hub to Access Point
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Yes I fixed it in the end. I purchased a powerline network point with two Ethernet sockets. I plugged one into the hive hub and the other into the router and it's fine now.

I do think i could fix the router though. But I think I prefer the hive hub on its own Ethernet port connected straight to the internet gateway through my AC power cabling. Much more reliable I think! Takes a potentially unreliable router out of the equation!

Cheers

Will

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]