It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sabre 25HE Combi Boiler - looking to add Hive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:52 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi all,
Hope you can help.
I've got a Sabre 25 HE combi (basically a re-badged Vokera I believe).
It has the default timer clock built into the front - TRV's on most rads, no remote stat (no remote timer, as uses the built in one as above).

Page 31 in the manual (http://www.sabreboilers.co.uk/Sabre_HE_ ... nstall.pdf) gives some basic information on installing a remote/room stat.

And the Hive install guide provides some basic guidance (I assume this is because Hive is unable to add instructions for ALL combinations of possible boilers and heating controls that are out there)!

From what I can tell, I need to connect:

Perm Nuetral (M6 block Blue - 6th connector (fig. 38, pg 31)) to N on Hive
Live (M6 block Brown - 4th connector (fig. 38)) to L on Hive
1st Black (M6 block 1st connector (fig. 38)) to 1-COMMON on Hive
2nd Black (M6 block 3rd connector (fig. 38)) to 3-NC on Hive
2 and 4 on Hive are unused?

Does this look correct? I've read something about maybe needing to Loop L and 1/COMMON on Hive - is this necessary?
Also, I take it the Hive Receiver is 230V. Fig. 39 on Page 31 suggests the boiler is outputting 230v for the room stat (Hive Receiver in this case)

Am I better to unwire the built in clock completely, or as others have suggested, leave it wired in, but left 'on', so Hive sends the control signals?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Mark

Post subject: Re: Sabre 25HE Combi Boiler - looking to add Hive
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:18 pm 

Have thanks: 5 time
Hi
Could you post some pictures of the programmer back plate and the room stat with the cover off, please turn off the power first.
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:21 am 

Hi Matt,
Thanks for coming back to me. I'm still waiting for an appropriate time to get to the boiler - its a pain in the a**e to get at - once I have, I'll take some pictures and get them on here.
There is no room stat, so it will just be boiler pictures - Yep, I'll turn the power off. I don't want shocking if I can help it!!!
I have bought Hive 2 no install - it was £125 on Amazon on Black Friday - if it won't work with the boiler, I'll sell it on again!

Bear with me, and I will get some pictures, and get back to you - appreciate the help so far.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:17 am 

Update, in case this helps anyone (in and working by the way!)

I worked this out using various forums, pictures others had taken and basically a ton of research - so thanks to everyone's hard work that I ripped into to work out how to install Hive myself.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload any pictures - so I can't help people in the way I was hoping I could...
But basically, my assumptions of the cabling were correct:

Hive:
N --> Neutral (M6 block terminal 6)
L --> Live (M6 block terminal 4)
1 --> 1st terminal on M6 block
3 --> 3rd terminal on M6 block

Or,

M6 Block:
1 --> 1 on Hive/Common
3 --> 3 on Hive/NO/Heating on/Call for Heat
4 --> L on Hive
6 --> N on Hive

If someone can tell me how to upload pictures, I'm happy to... happy for this to help anyone it can!

Thanks, Mark

Last edited by markt on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 pm 

Hi Mark,

use http://pasteboard.co/ to post pic and stick the link in your text (use the URL button)it should look like :

[url]http://pasteboard.co/yourlink.jpg[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:28 pm 

Thanks LarrySW.

Here are three pictures that I hope will help someone...

http://pasteboard.co/ENZ3d64v.jpg
http://pasteboard.co/6A4rOzL8T.jpg
http://pasteboard.co/6A4POR7X0.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:12 pm 

Hi mate cheers for your pics i have a sabre 24 but is the exact same layout as yours terminal wise but mines keeps blowing the fuse in boiler when turned on....i have switched the common and N/O just incase but still no joy.
I also took out the control cables and and left the power cables L/N connected to receiver and did not blow fuse its frying my head lol.

Did u do anything else what did u leave your dial at on front of boiler? I have took the cables from the timeclock out.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:34 am 

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't know... I didn't do anything different to what you've done - just lucky our fuse hasn't blown then I guess!!
As far as I know, it doesn't matter which way round Common and NO are connected up - its just a circuit.

I take it you don't have ANY Loop wires, either on the M6 connector, or on the Hive backplate (are you using the Hive backplate, or putting the Hive receiver on your existing backplate)? You don't want to be looping the Live into the Common/NO circuit (or at least, I didn't).
I believe its a 'Volt-free' system, which if I remember rightly from all the reading I did, means the Common/NO circuit doesn't require Mains directly to it, I assume it takes its power from within the Hive receiver somehow - it does still run off some voltage, just not directly off mains.

I completely removed the black 4 core cable which ran from M6 to the clock - the clock is still in situ, but does nothing at all.
I did nothing with the dials on the front - so the middle one is set to 'DHW and CH' (Domestic Hot Water and Central Heating), the DHW temp was at whatever it was at to start with, and the CH was left at minimum (we have since notched this up a little though) - I don't know what happens if you set the CH dial to approx. between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, as this setting is some 'auto' setting - I don't know what that means, or how Hive would deal with it.
Also, when I was doing the work I turned the 'DHW and CH' dial to DHW only, turned the boiler off at the fused spur (and removed its fuse), then when I'd got the boiler open, I removed the fuse in the block connector which is next to the M6 block (I assume the one that keeps blowing for you). When I re-inserted all fuses and turned the Fused Spur back on, then tested Hive, nothing happened... and I felt like smashing it with a hammer... then I realised I'd not turned the (middle I think) dial back to 'DHW and CH' from just 'DHW' - once I did that, it sprang into life! Maybe try that same process?

I used twin 13amp 240v cable - I've no idea if thsi is right, but as its a 230v input to Hive from the 230v from the boiler, and requires 3amp (although the fuse is 2amp), I figured a 13amp cable would be sufficient. Plus if you look at the pathetic looking original wires from the M6 to the clock, which also carried 230v, then the one I've put in surely won't burn out if the previous one was less than half the size... But I'm no electrician either... I just know it works and the house hasn't burnt down yet!!!!!

Hive can be powered from any 230v source (as far as I know - I'M NO EXPERT THOUGH!), I was worried about Hive needing a 3amp feed, and the boiler having a 2amp fuse - if my fuse had blown, I was going to look at taking the Mains from the fused spur, or putting in a new fused spur for Hive - maybe try looking at that toute? Though oddly, you've said that it is blowing the fuse when you remove the Common/NO wiring, and doesn't with the L/N only connected. Could the backplate/receiver be faulty?

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, I can only tell you what I did, which 'just worked' for me...
Hope my ramblings help a little though...

Thanks, Mark

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]