It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rebadged AlertMe Products
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 7 time
Ok, so I managed to work out from the box that my Hive system was packaged in that the product is a rebadged "AlertMe" product.

I have the following on the boxes that mine came in:

1. Hive/BG Nano Hub r26A
2. SLT2 RHC Thermostat
3. SLR2 RHC Dual Channel Receiver

I've not managed to do a direct comparison but it appears on this website:

https://www.alertme.com/help/nano-hub/s ... -nano.html

Looks pretty similar to the one BG supplied.

I've also managed to find a forum from AlertMe which details specifics around the linux OS the Hub appears to be running:

http://forum.alertme.org.uk/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=10

I need more time to digest the forum etc before I start tinkering, but its all good info.

Post subject: Re: Rebadged AlertMe Products
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:11 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Keep up the good work. The most we can get out of this system the better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm 

I would love to be able to use some thermostatic radiator valves like these....
http://goo.gl/9jkMRF
British Gas have said they'll add stuff in the future. But if I want something like this now will I have to buy a new controller for £130 for the valves to work?

It's good being able to turn the heating, but I would like more control. So, in the morning I can heat the bathroom! without heating the rest of the house. And the same sort of thing in the evening...... Heat the kitchen without heating the bathroom or bedrooms.

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Ian_forumhive wrote:
I would love to be able to use some thermostatic radiator valves like these....
http://goo.gl/9jkMRF
British Gas have said they'll add stuff in the future. But if I want something like this now will I have to buy a new controller for £130 for the valves to work?

It's good being able to turn the heating, but I would like more control. So, in the morning I can heat the bathroom! without heating the rest of the house. And the same sort of thing in the evening...... Heat the kitchen without heating the bathroom or bedrooms.

Ian

Hi Ian, I too have looked at the automated TRV solution as heating upstairs during the day when no-one is up there just feels like a complete waste. The link you provided is a Z-wave product and therefore not compatible with the BG ZigBee standard directly. This would therefore mean that you would at least need to add a module to your system which would allow Z-wave control. However, Z-wave appears to be emerging as the defacto budget standard for home automation products and there are loads out there, so it could be a good investment even if BG don't integrate into the Hive suite.

In relation to control, I've been looked at reverse engineering the Hive smartphone app (Android only for now) so that I can re-write an alternative. Depending on the Z-wave product, the same app could control the TRV's you specified as long as a similar reverse engineering on the Z-wave side could be performed.

BG (Hive) have proposed the potential for an open API to the Hive system which will allow a lot more development and integration to similar products to take place, but as with all of this, it will take time to deliver and each additional product will require integration etc.

However, with all of that in mind, I for one will be developing an app and fine tuning the functionality to my preferences. I'll make the app available via the Google Play (potential source on github) when available and as I'm also looking at the TRV solution I'll be documenting progress via the forums and seeing what other interest we can gather to assist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

For anyone interested, just found this link

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products ... ry-PI.html

Which is basically an add-on board for the raspberry pi that allows Z-Wave integration.

This means that we can almost certainly write a smartphone app which will (via the PI) be able to control Z-wave products and more specifically the TRV's mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:29 pm 

After a few days of research looking at different options I decided to buy eTRVs www.etrv.co.uk
IR controllable and programmable (not the most user friendly by the look of it). The guys at eTRV have been helpful and Ideal World are selling 5 eTRVs and a remote for £200.

I know home automation from a central system and "the internet of things" is the way forward, but I wanted something which doesn't need a system admin in to maintain. ;-)
Having looked at the Vera Lite and the Danfoss Living Connect, which are both Z Wave, I decided there were to many people having problems. Now I don't mind a bit of fault finding and tweeting here and there, I love gadgets and new technology, but with my homes heating I want it to work first time without thinking about the technology behind it and buggy firmware running it.

If in the future I do decide to go to a central controller I can move my eTRVs to other rooms. Then I could also add a camera, lighting, power control and any other items which are available.

So what I'll be able to do now is use the Hive to easily change the boiler controls remotely and the eTRVs to control different radiators at different times of the day. Eg, in the morning keep the living room and kitchen radiators off and just heat the bedroom and bathroom. You can easily control the radiator when you are in the room as well..... Set temperatures, boost for an hour, sleep...

Ian

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]