It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to britishgashive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Use of Hot Water channel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello, I have just joined and am not yet a Hive owner but on the brink of ordering one.

My boiler is a combi type with HW (hot water) on demand. I am suggesting using the unused HW channel on Hive to control some lighting so as to have an appearance of occupancy while away from home.
I would hope that there are a pair of potential free contacts I could use to switch a lamp via a suitable relay.

Is this feasible? Does anyone know where I can find a technical specification for the Hive output connections?

Post subject: Re: Use of Hot Water channel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:02 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
sounds plausible, though I don't know the details, but you'll have to specify that you need the two channel controller. If you tell them that you have a combi-boiler, they'll just give you a one-channel one

mdj has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I have ordered but this did not involve describing my installation. I will have to persuade the installer to fit the 2 channel version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm 

Update:
I don't think I will be able to use the dual channel receiver with my combi. It requires a voltage free contact on the thermostat connection and the dual channel receiver does not seem to have this. Only the single channel has what appears to be voltage free connections, a common, a NC and a NO. The dual channel has two pairs of on and off connections but no common so I assume it has line voltage fed to them internally.
So to answer my own question, it is not possible to use the dual channel to control lighting using the "spare" hot water channel in conjunction with a boiler that needs potential free thermostat connections. It could be done with an external mains-operated relay to control the boiler.
I will look into sourcing a suitable relay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 am 

Further update:

Found a suitable relay. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Relay-240V-Mains-230V/dp/B00ADLOZ02/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SZ3A2GBAW98PPY1X7J9. Its a mains actuated relay with two low voltage contact sets.

I had Hive installed today. Had to work hard on convincing the installer to fit a dual channel receiver in a combi system. Eventually he was authorised by phone to go ahead. By chance he had the local "Connected Home" person with him on an orientation visit and I think that helped with the permission. Although I had been unable to purchase Hive for self installation both of them were sure it was still available to purchase on that basis. At one stage that looked like the only way I was going to get a dual channel version.

Anyway, the Boiler is operating via the relay as expected and I now have the spare hot water channel to switch something else. Could be used for lighting or even greenhouse heating (on/off) provided the switching ratings are observed.

Have run into a couple of annoyances/problems with the app on my tablet. I will go into details in a different thread.

Post subject: Completed: Use of Hot Water channel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm 

Job done.

At last I got round to connecting up my lamp circuit. I fitted a 2 amp 3 pin round pin socket in the hall and wired this to the Hive receiver hot water "on" connection (4) , the permanent neutral (1) and the Earth terminal to which I had already extended an earth wire. Chose the 2 amp socket to prevent any major appliances from being plugged in and blowing the receiver contacts.

Operating as expected.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC